ABOUT THE AUTHOR, GERRY LONG
Current Musical Activities --
• Wrote (author and composer) a book of original chord-solos for
the ukulele, written to make the transition into chord-solo playing easier. Entitled 50 Easy Uke Chord-Solos, it contains a CD of all fifty
solos performed by the great James Hill.
• Author of an instructional e-magazine, Gerry’s UKE-TIPS,
which goes out to more than a thousand recipients world-wide
• Teaching a class of advanced ukulele players in Corona del Mar,
Ca. That class also performs as a ten-member vocal and instrumental
ensemble, called Instant Harmony, which I direct.
• Performing (on clarinet and ukulele) with the great 101-year-old
ukulele artist, Bill Tapia.
• Performing (clarinet) with guitarist Jeff Cogan (Chapman U.
Professor of Guitar) throughout Southern California.
• Completed a CD with Mr. Cogan, of works I composed for clarinet
and guitar. Published by Clear Note Publications, of Columbus, Oh.
• Revising my rhythm book (Rhythm, It's Easy) of 139
rhythmic duets which can be played with the computer playing one voice, the
student playing the other voice. Playable by all members of the uke family -
soprano, concert, tenor and baritone, and most other treble clef instruments --
flute, clarinet, trumpet, violin, et al. (See "Other Uke
Brief Bio --
• Guest lecturer at So. Cal Uke Festival in Cerritos, 2006, 2007,
• Guest lecturer at San Diego Uke Festival, 2006
• Guest lecturer at 2nd annual European Uke Fest
in Gross-Umstadt, Germany, Aug. 2008.
• Doctorate in Music Performance (clarinet), Eastman School of
Music, Univ.of Rochester, (NY)
• Conductor of Disney on Parade, which toured fifty-five
cities in North America, from Mexico City to Montreal; conducted over 900
• Arrangements published by G. Shirmer, Southern Music, Clear Note
Publications, Robbins Music, including full orchestral score to the music from
the musical Hair.
• Music Professor at Albion College in Mich., Jacksonville Univ.
in Florida, and Long Beach State. Chairman, Fine Arts Department, Ambassador
• Author of The Conductor's Workshop, instrumental
conducting textbook, published by McGraw Hill.
• Author of Rhythm -- It's Easy, computer related series of
139 duets for the purpose of teaching rhythm.
• Played jazz since the age of 13, and performed as clarinetist
with the Eastman Wind Ensemble, and principal clarinet with the Jacksonville,
Fla, Symphony, and California Chamber Symphony.
This Book is Your Guide!
Sign up for